January 25, 2010

UFC champ Brock Lesnar slams Canadian health care

Hey, I know I don’t talk about much of anything on the blog but politics but when one of my favorite spectator hobbies and politics intersect it is really great.  I love UFC!  I Knew that Brock was sick, and knew he was coming back to “whup up” on all comers very very soon, but just saw this over at Musings and had to put my .02 worth in.  You can read the whole thing over here because there are just a few points I want to stress.

The article below is from Yahoo News.
Read carefully what Brock is saying about his care of the lack there of in Canada.
Do we want this in America? I personally say "NO!" We need some minor changes.
But not the radical changes the Liberals want.
I agree totally Fuzzy!


BrockLesnar UFC heavyweight champion (and Man Mountain) Brock Lesnar announced his "miracle" recovery from a career-threatening digestive disease Wednesday while slamming the health care he received in Canada after falling sick during a hunting trip.
Lesnar said his U.S. doctors were "dumbfounded" at his success in beating diverticulosis and avoiding major surgery to remove part of his colon."They couldn't find any signs of any problem in my stomach.
It's just a miracle," the mixed martial arts star said Wednesday on a sports news station in his first interview since falling ill.UFC president Dana White said Lesnar, who has not fought since July, will be back in action this summer against the winner of the UFC 111 bout in March between Frank Mir and Shane Carwin. (uhhh Shane Corwin unless the angels intercede)Shane_Carwin_1000785
The six-foot-four Lesnar, who has to cut weight to make the UFC heavyweight limit of 265 pounds, said he had been ailing for some time last year, before falling seriously ill during a trip to Canada. What had started as flu-like symptoms was upgraded to mononucleosis and then diverticulosis.
Asked about the low point during the last few months of his illness, Lesnar said: "Probably the lowest moment was getting care from Canada.""They couldn't do nothing [sic] for me," he noted in a later media conference call Wednesday. "It was like I was in a Third World country."
"I'm just stating the facts here and that's the facts," he continued. "I love Canada. I own property in Canada but if I had to choose between getting care in Canada or the United States, I definitely want to be in the United States. Canadians, don't get me wrong here. Listen, I love Canada, some of the best people and best hunting in the world. I have family up there. But I wasn't at the right facility. And it makes sense for me to say that."
Lesnar, who makes his home in Minnesota, refused to say where he was treated in Canada although he talked of his wife driving him "in excruciating pain" to the border. "I knew that I had to get out of there. And my wife saved my life. She got me out of there and drove 100 miles an hour to get me down to Bismarck, North Dakota, to Medcenter One (hospital) and got me with Dr. (Brent) Buderer and his staff, and that doctor there saved my career and saved my life."
…Doctors put him on antibiotics and pain medication, while suggesting surgery was likely the final option. Lesnar spent the next 11 days there. "No food, no water, fed intravenously. Lost 40 pounds."He underwent a small procedure, having a six-inch needle inserted into his stomach to drain three pockets and withdraw 14 cubic centimetres of fluid. The next morning, he decided to go home, with his doctor saying he wanted him back in three months for surgery once some swelling had subsided. The next week he visited the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., for a second opinion. Doctors there also recommended surgery.
"I didn't want to (have surgery), if I could beat the odds, I was going to do everything in my power to do that," said Lesnar, adding he would probably have had to retire if the surgery was unavoidable.He went home, hit the gym, put some 30 pounds back on and returned to the doctor Jan. 5. Tests gave him a clean bill of health. "Basically the doctor said you've got a lottery ticket, this is unbelievable. We can't believe you didn't need surgery," said White.  Lesnar said because of the diverticulosis, the food he was eating was not being absorbed properly. "I couldn't eat enough food to get enough energy."…

Lesnar said a "total protein" diet with not enough fibre contributed to his health problems. "I'm a carnivore, I'm not a big an of PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). I'm a member of the NRA (National Rifle Association) and whatever I kill, I eat. Basically I was for years surviving on meat and potatoes.
When the greens came by, I just kept passing them."  He said he revamped his diet, prayed a lot and used some "natural healing medicine."
Lesnar calls it a life-changing experience.

Lesnar recalled the night in Canada when he believes the perforation in his stomach happened.
"I woke up in shock, in cold sweat. I mean it was big time," he said. "Didn't know where I was and realized I had to seek medical help." He said he was two and a half to three hours "from what I thought would be a good medical facility."
But he refused to say where, saying: "I'm not going to disclose anything."
"The only reason I'm mentioning this is I'm mentioning this to the United States of America because President Obama is pushing this health-care reform. And obviously I don't want it. I'm a conservative Republican . . . I'm speaking on behalf of Americans, I'm speaking on behalf of our doctors in the United States that don't want this to happen and neither do I.”  "The main thing is I'm sitting here, I'm healthy, and I got the right care that I needed," he added.”

From Musings of a Vast Right-Winger: UFC champ Brock Lesnar slams Canadian health care but ready to fight this summer

brock_lesnar_feature

And the winner by Referee stoppage is the USA, knocking out Canadian style HealthScare in the final seconds of the last round…

-KOOK

Blog Widget by LinkWithin