March 11, 2009

Is there such a thing as good and evil?

Good and Evil. Here is a question for you. Is Evil Real? What is Evil? This is not going to be a religious discussion. If Evil is not real, then that is moral relativism (if there is no evil then there is no good, and everything is based on the judgment of the person asking the question). Let me assume that you agree that there is such a thing as Evil. Well what is it? That is a harder question. If you cannot define it how do you propose to recognize it? Let me see if I can help. These are not my ideas, but I freely co-opt ideas when I see the truth in them. Oh there is a question, is there such a thing as truth or lies? I don’t think our politicians think so.

In answering what is Evil let me ask you a couple of other questions. What is Cold? People are going to say well that is simple. Cold is when you put something in the refrigerator, it is the opposite of hot. WRONG. There is no such thing as Cold. There is a LACK of HEAT. Heat is measurable, Cold is not. Cold is the absence of Heat not the opposite. There is a difference between the opposite of something and the absence of something. Now if I have completely lost you then you need to look it up. I promise I am not lying. Cold is the absence of Heat. Got it? Ok next question, what is Dark? Again some will immediately say that Dark is the opposite of Light. Wrong again. There is either Light or no light, but there is not Dark. It is not as if when the sun goes down there is a black sun that comes up and shines black light. The sun goes down and the absence of the light creates Darkness. Again, light is measurable Dark is not. Try it, go into a photography store and ask for a dark meter….they don’t have one do they? They have a Light meter. Please don’t take my word on this, get a High School science book. Google it.

So here is what I think, and it is cliché. Evil is caused in the absence of Good. Evil is caused when people of good conscience do nothing. So what we really should measure in people is the amount of good in them. Well I suppose that is somewhat of an esoteric concept as well. But I think a good first step is: are they true to their character, do they do what they say and say what they do?, are their decisions based on principles? Or are their decisions based on self interest?

I am not ashamed or afraid to say what I believe, and I believe that the liberal/progressive movement is Evil. Maybe not 100% evil, but less than 50% good.

The point I am making with this is: when what a person says they will do has no bearing on what they are actually doing right at that moment that is evil.
This reminds me of Star Wars when Obi-wan does the Jedi mind trick on the storm trooper or in the Matrix when Neo says there is no spoon. When Obama says something he is going to DO the opposite. He says what he says because he knows that is what people want to hear, but it has nothing to do with what he does. His mouth says no while his head nods yes. That is evil. I swear there are people out there that if Obama said the sky turned green they would not even look up, they would just accept it as fact.

C.S. Lewis wrote: "The greatest evil is not done now in those sordid 'dens of crime' that Dickens loved to paint. It is not even done in concentration camps and labor camps. In those we see its final result. But it is conceived and ordered; moved, seconded, carried and minuted in clear, carpeted, warmed, and well-lit offices, by quiet men with white collars and cut fingernails and smooth-shaven cheeks who do not need to raise their voice." …Remember that.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin