December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas, my Christmas prayer





I try to keep this blog secular for what I feel like are good reasons, but I have my beliefs and at this time of year I am making an exception. I have had this poem for a long time, I have changed it slightly for the times and audience.

A Christmas prayer:

I ain't much good at prayin', and
You may not know me, Lord--
I ain't much seen in churches where they preach Thy Holy Word,





But You may have observed me out here on the lonely plains,
A watching over folks, and feelin' thankful for our gains




In awe of Thy great handiwork, and the miracles that you have wrought
Aware of Thy Great Spirit in the battles we have fought





Soothed That common men with the ideas they defend
Can look up at the stars at night and know they've got a Friend.





So here's ol' Christmas comin' on, remindin' us again
Of Him whose comin' brought goodwill into the hearts of men





You know I ain't no preacher, Lord, but if You'll hear my prayer,
I'll ask as good as we have got for all men everywhere.




Don't let no hearts be bitter, Lord; don't let no child be cold.
Make easy beds for them that's sick, and them that's weak and old.



Let kindness bless the path we trod, no matter what we're after,
And sorta keep us on Your side, in tears as well as laughter.

I've seen folks a-starvin', and it ain't no pretty sight:
Please don't leave no one hungry, Lord, On Thy good Christmas night--




No man, no child, no woman, and no critter on four feet--
I'll aim to do my best to help You find 'em food to eat.

I'm just a common sinner, Lord,--ain't got no business prayin'--
But still I hope You'll catch a word or two of what I'm sayin':

We speak of Merry Christmas, Lord; I reckon You'll agree
There ain't no Merry Christmas for those that ain't free.





So one thing more I'll ask You, Lord: just help us what You can
To save some seeds of freedom for the future sons of man.

-Merry Christmas to all my friends and fellow bloggers. Leave the politics alone, spend this time with loved ones. After all what is the point of all this without our families and friends?



-Ryan
via iPhone

Blog Widget by LinkWithin