March 12, 2009

Here are someone elses principles for life.

Read this and see if you find yourself agreeing with it

"Not long since I sought to formulate in my own mind the things that make life most worth living, without which it would have little meaning.

Some of these things have been relegated to bygone days; some are regarded as long since outgrown. Nevertheless I believe they are every one of them fundamental and eternal. They are the principles on which my wife and I have tried to bring up our family; they are the principles in which my father believed and by which he governed his life. They are the principles, many of them, which I learned at my mother's knee. They point the way to usefulness and happiness in life, to courage and peace in death. If they mean to you what they mean to me they may perhaps be helpful also to our sons for their guidance and inspiration.
Let me state them:

  1. I believe in the supreme worth of the individual and in his right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
  2. I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty.
  3. I believe that the law was made for man and not man for the law; that government is the servant of the people and not their master.
  4. I believe in the dignity of labor, whether with head or hand; that the world owes no man a living but that it owes every man an opportunity to make a living.
  5. I believe that thrift is essential to well ordered living and that economy is a prime requisite of a sound financial structure, whether in government, business or personal affairs.

    I believe that truth and justice are fundamental to an enduring social order.
  6. I believe in the sacredness of a promise, that a man's word should be as good as his bond; that character - not wealth or power or position - is of supreme worth.
  7. I believe that the rendering of useful service is the common duty of mankind and that only in the purifying fire of sacrifice is the dross of selfishness consumed and the greatness of the human soul set free.
  8. I believe in an allwise and all loving God, named by whatever name, and that the individual's highest fulfillment, greatest happiness and widest usefulness are to be found in living in harmony with His will.
  9. I believe that love is the greatest thing in the world; that it alone can overcome hate; that right can and will triumph over might.

    These are the principles, however formulated, for which all good men and women throughout the world, irrespective of race or creed, education, social position or occupation are standing, and for which many of them are suffering and dying. These are the principles upon which alone a new world recognizing the brotherhood of man and the fatherhood of God can be established. It is to help usher in this new day that our sons have dedicated themselves to the service of their country. And it is that they may be kept worthy of this high service that we call upon all parents and neighbors in this city and throughout the length and breadth of this fair land to stand with us in supporting the United Service Organizations and their campaign. "

Who said it and when?


John D Rockefeller in 1941

Blog Widget by LinkWithin