March 01, 2009

John Glenn

JOHN GLENN (ON THE SENATE FLOOR) Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:13 Some people still don't understand why military personnel Do what they do for a living. This exchange between Senators John Glenn and Senator Howard Metzenbaum Is worth reading. Not only is it a pretty impressive Impromptu speech, but it's also a good example of one man's explanation of why men and women in the armed Services do what they do for a living This IS a typical, though sad, example of what Some who have never served think of the military. Senator Metzenbaum (speaking to Senator Glenn): "How can you run for Senate When you've never held a real job?" Senator Glenn (D-Ohio): "I served 23 years in the United States Marine Corps. I served through two wars. I flew 149 missions. My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on 12 different Occasions. I was in the space program. It wasn't my Checkbook, Howard; it was my life on the line. It was Not a nine-to-five job, where I took time off to take the Daily cash receipts to the bank." "I ask you to go with me ... As I went the other day... To a veteran's hospital and look those men ... With their mangled bodies in the eye, and tell THEM they didn't hold a job! You go with me to the Space Program at NASA And go, as I have gone, to the widows and Orphans Of Ed White, Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee... And you look those kids in the eye and tell them That their DADS didn't hold a job. You go with me on Memorial Day and you stand in Arlington National Cemetery, where I have more friends Buried than I'd like to remember, and you watch Those waving flags You stand there, and you think about this nation, And you tell ME that those people didn't have a job? What about you?" For those who don't remember During WW.II, Howard Metzenbaum was an attorney Representing the Communist Party in the USA . Now he's a Senator!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin