June 12, 2009

Who is the Kook?

180px-Questionfull[1]
It is neither here nor there, but I thought by now someone would have made a comment at some time regarding my avatar. I thought it was very appropriate when I chose it and I thought someone would have wondered what the deal was, why I didn't use my name or my face.
Like I said, it is not an issue, I am just surprised. I didn't really have a reason as to why I didn't want to put my real name on the web, other than it just seems a little odd to me, and I must confess there must have been some embarrassment as part of it.
Honestly I didn't know anything about blogging. Had no idea that there were that many like minded people like me. I have said before where KOOK came from, but for all my new friends and fellow KOOKs I will go over it again. One of my co-workers thinks I am a conspiracy theorist (great movie btw) and maybe I am a little, but he called me a Kook one day. Then I remembered Rush talking to or about the Keeper of Odd Knowledge Society. Then I read where Rush said they all died. Well the world needs Kooks, so there is the name. I guess it is tongue in cheek as well, one of those issues of embracing the label to let it give you power or something.
Well I had a name but I needed an Avatar. I am also a geek, and I like comic book heroes. I think Wikipedia would be better for this part.
The Question is one of the more philosophical superheroes. As a tireless opponent of societal corruption, the Question was an adherent of Objectivism (Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged) during his career…
Victor Sage (his alter-ego) is an investigative reporter for the news station KBEL in Hub City, who uses the identity of The Question to get the answers his civilian identity cannot. Unlike other vigilante superheroes, O'Neil's Question is primarily focused on the politics of his city, and rather than hunting down the perpetrators of petty theft, he tends to fight the corrupt government of Hub City. O'Neil's Hub City is noted as being "synonymous with venality, corruption, and violence", perhaps even outranking Gotham City as the most dismal city in the DC Universe version of the US. Despite the impoverished and scandalous nature of Hub City, O'Neil insisted repeatedly that it was based on an actual US city, though for most of the series' run he refused to comment on which one that might be. He eventually confirmed, near the end of the run, that Hub City was based on East St. Louis, Illinois (corrupt Illinois politics…get it?)
The Question's appearance — ordinary clothes, fedora hat, and a face with no eyes, nose or mouth — was very similar to two other similarly-attired and blank-faced characters who appeared in comics in the late 1930s
The Question uses a special mask (bonded to his face by a gaseous chemical) to conceal his identity. He is portrayed as a conspiracy theorist, a blend of Rorschach from the Watchmen comics and Fox Mulder of the popular X-Files series. The Question of the DC Animated Universe is a completely obsessive, darkly comic loner — skeptical, eccentric, paranoid, antagonistic and somewhat unpredictable. He is given to believing in abstruse conspiracy theories and is suspicious of even his fellow League members; despite this (or perhaps because of it), he is one of the Justice League's best detectives. At one point, he mentions that Supergirl eats peanut butter sandwiches before going to bed, to which she asks him whether he goes through her trash: he responds, "Please... I go through everyone's trash."
The Question's various conspiracy theories, which he insists are a single, tied-together theory, are usually portrayed in a humorous manner. He claims the motives and purpose of aglets (the plastic caps at the end of shoelaces) are "sinister", that the government is brainwashing people through "secret messages, coded in amino acid chains in low-carb cereal bars", believes in ominous links between boy bands and global warming, though in the episode "Question Authority" when he cracked the inscription on a file he stole from the government, one of the files was named "BRAZILBOYZ" meaning that the government did have a hand in boy bands. Question believes that the Girl Scouts are either the cause or connected to the crop circle phenomenon, and that fluoridated toothpaste doesn't prevent tooth decay, but renders the user's teeth detectable to spy satellites. He also believes there was a literal 'magic bullet', forged by Illuminati mystics to hide 'the truth' (although as this was said under torture, he may have been mocking his captor). In recent investigations in the episode "Grudge Match", he confirmed his suspicions when he broke into one of Baskin-Robbins ice-cream freezers and discovered that there are in fact thirty-two flavors of ice cream, and that they were concealing the thirty-second for dubious reasons. All of these theories are apparently tied to a single, vast conspiracy by a hidden cabal dating back to ancient Egypt, which has supposedly ruled the world from the shadows for millennia, aided by the common man's ignorance of it. In "Fearful Symmetry" he is also shown to enjoy "Corporate Prepackaged Pop" music, made for kids. Ironic as with all of his crazy theories about brainwashing people would think that he wouldn't listen to it, for fear of being brainwashed.
After the events of "Fearful Symmetry” Batman assigns Question to investigate and find out whatever he can about those responsible, much to the chagrin of the other League founders. (Batman admits that The Question is "...wound up a bit too tight" and obliquely indicates that the Question's detective skills may even exceed his own. (which would make him the best detective in the DC Universe)
"Question Authority" has several homages to Ditko's Objectivist beliefs, as well as to Rorschach, Alan Moore's infamous Question pastiche. As he recoils from the information he's discovered, he begins to speak in monotone sentence fragments, as Rorschach did. ("Not alternate reality," he quavers. "Time loop.") …
Later, he declares that; "Everything that exists has a specific nature, and possesses characteristics that are a part of what it is. A is A... And no matter what reality he calls home, Luthor is Luthor." This is an explicit statement of the Law of Identity, upon which Ditko based certain characters and their opinions.
Question (comics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So… I thought it fit. Now it is just who I am I guess.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin